Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Orphans?

I just picked up the article excert of Christopher Buckley's book about his parents dying within months of one another. He starts right out saying how many people referrred to him as an orphan! Its funny but when my Mom died Marguerite was the only person out of about 50 or 60 who ever said that to me. I was so struck by that because now as then I think of the term "orphan" to be used for a person under the age of 21!!! Long past that one! In Gail Goodwin's book about her husband's death she stated that when they would be on their way home from someplace he would refer to their home as returning to the orphanage!
One thing Buckley wrote that is true for you and your sibs if you have them is that once that second parent dies you are "in the green room for the river Styxx". This just cracked me up I had to share!

2 comments:

  1. "One thing Buckley wrote that is true for you and your sibs if you have them is that once that second parent dies you are "in the green room for the river Styxx". This just cracked me up I had to share!"

    This is tooooo funny.

    I remember, after my mother died, the hospice counselor told me that there is no greater sadness than to be a daughter without a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEVEN tries to post my comment!!!! GRRRRRR

    ReplyDelete